• Common Name : Gini thana
• Scientific Name : Panicum maximum
• Family : Poaceae
• Life cycle : Annual
• Morphological characters : Rhizome : short, creeping rhizome
Stems : can reach a height of up to 2 m, the stems bend and nodes touch the ground, roots and new plants are formed. Leaf sheaths : are found at the bases of the stems and are covered in fine hairs.
The leaf blades : are up to 35 mm wide and taper to a long fine point.
The inflorescence : is a large multi-branched, open panicle with loose, flexuous branches. The lower branches of the inflorescence are arranged in a whorl.
• Propagation : By seeds
• Agricultural importance: Compete for light, moisture, space and nutrients with crops.
• Uses : Forage for animals
• Control measures : Young plants by selective grass-killers